Friday, December 21, 2012

Flowers can help your mind, body, and soul


Winter officially begins this Friday, and that is the perfect time to start planning for your spring garden! You can spend those chilly winter nights planning out what the design of your flower beds, educate yourself on what materials you'll need, when to start planning, and how to care for the garden. You can begin to budget each payday so when spring arrives, you'll be prepared. I plan to start with flowers in flowerpots on my porch and deck.
Here is a quick checklist of supplies you might need to get started:
  • Flower Pots
  • Soil
  • Save some egg shells, dead leaves, other composted material, and/or coffee grounds to mix into the soil to make it rich
  • flower bulbs
  • Water pot - or save an old jug to use
  • Spade
  • Pruners or shears
  • Gloves
  • Knee Pad
I plan to buy my flower pots and soil a bit before I am ready for the bulbs. I want to put the soil in and mix it with some compost, leaves, and egg shells I've saved so they can begin to break down. Then, I'll plant my bulbs so they can start to grow. We go through plenty of milk, so I'll save a milk just to wash out and use to water my flowers. I have a spade and gloves to keep my hands clean already, and my old bones certainly need a knee pad to rest on while I am tending to my flowers.

While planning out your flower bed, keep in mind what space you have available. Is is sunny, shady, combination? How many pots can reasonably fit in that space? How much time do you realistically have to spend maintaining your plants? Of course you want to stay on budget financially, but if you plant more than you have time to care for, you'll be wasting time and money on plants that will die. 
Gardening is a great way to get outdoors and out of the house. You won't necessarily be doing aerobic exercises, but it does require activity that you can do at your own pace. Taking care of a living thing is good for the mind, body, and soul.

This is a sponsored post however, all the points and views are my own.

No comments: