With Heart Health Month approaching, now is the time to schedule a check up with your doctor. When you have your blood work done, the optimal numbers to know are your:
- LDL Cholesterol (Bad Cholesterol)- Ideal is below 100 mg/dL which is low risk for Heart Disease. From 100-129 mg/dL is average risk, and anything above 130 is HIGH risk for Heart Disease. Remember - LOWER IS BETTER
- HDL Cholesterol (Good Cholesterol) - Ideal is Greater than 50 mg/dL. Less than 50 is Moderate to High Risk Heart disease. HIGHER IS BETTER.
- Triglycerides - Below 150 mg/dL is ideal
- Total Cholesterol - Less than 200 mg/dL is ideal
- Blood Glucose - Fasting Levels should be below 100mg/dL. Over 126 mg/dL and you need to talk to your doctor about being diabetic or pre-diabetic and see what changes you need to make!
- Blood Pressure - Normal is 120/80. Your doctor can advise you on how often to check this.
- Weight - ask your doctor if you are in a healthy range for your body type, but know the number and know what range your should be in so you can work to get there.
- BMI - 18.5-24.9 is healthy, 25-29.9 is overweight, 30+ is obese.